Translate

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Do You Even Watch Korean Dramas?

Wait a minute, hold up! Do you not know what a Korean Drama is? 

Oh you do? 
Never mind. I was worried for a second. In all seriousness, if you don't know what a Korean drama is, it's a basically a soap opera in Korean. Except they are way better than American soap operas, and tv novelas. Of course this statement will differ depending on who you're talking to, but right now you're talking to me and I'm telling you, they are amazing. 
All of my last post were talking about kpop and this blog is "My Korean Drama Life" and not once have I talked about a drama. 

I'll be honest, my Korean addiction didn't officially start until freshman year of college and I'm a junior right now, so it hasn't been long like some others. (Sorry if use the term addiction too loosely) 
My first Korean drama was also freshman year of college, it was called "Bel Ami" also known as the 
"Pretty Man." Let me sum up this drama for you. It was about this man, who had was given the task to "conquer" women, it was really just learning certain skills from them and climb the corporate and social ladder in life. Making a name for himself, he soon finds himself tangled up with a poor dorky girl he met years ago who is in love with him, he now finds himself also starting to fall for her and thus, climbing the ladder becomes more of a game of chutes and ladders. I think I summed it up quite nicely. From there I watched other dramas like "Coffee Prince," "To The Beautiful You," "The Flower Boy Next Door," "Secret Garden," and my personal favorite "Mary Stayed Out All Night." The list goes on and on but I think I'll just stop here. 
If you're thinking about watching a Korean drama and you're on the fence I'm here to push you off the fence and onto the side of the drama. You're going to thank me later, and then you're going to hate me and then you're going to wish you never listened to me, because now you're addicted. It's the truth.
  So far I haven't really said what makes a kdrama so good. Well, one day for my Japanese pop culture class I talked about Japanese Cool vs. The Korean Wave and the differences in the drama. I stated that a Korean drama has great quality and the acting, although the writing is corny sometimes, the acting is pretty on par. Although it's not often easy to relate to, compared to a Japanese drama, they are a little more grown up and have a wider rage of audience, but that was based on other things. I like them, because they aren't your average drama, they aren't SUPER dramatic and they open one up to a new culture, because you know certain aspects of dramas, just like anime have real things about them, like food, and customs ect. I like them also because they are freaking hilarious, and they always hit you right in the god damned feels. You get second lead syndrome almost every time and kills you when the female lead doesn't realize she should be with guy #2 not #1.
Kdramas are everything man. That's all I'm saying. Do you even watch Korean dramas?

Watch it here! >>>> Pretty Man on DramaFever


No comments:

Post a Comment